Router Table Depot Posting Page
Friday, June 5, 2009

I spent a good bit of time yesterday in Lowes looking for a tool chest that would fit the odd dimensions under a workbench. Like most people I do not have much room in the shop, and I have built custom benches for the tools that I have. I have never been able to find anything off the shelf that would work for me. I really like the idea of having drawers in my shop. I have a larger work table with a roll around bench that I put drawers in. I filled the thing up and it is so nice being organized. Now of course, I want more.


Drawers verses bins.

Most work bench shelves have at least 11 or 12 inches under the main worktop. Putting bins in this space would hold all sorts of screws and nails, but it really wastes a lot of space behind it. Finding a toolbox that can utilize the space is tough as well. Most tool boxes are not deep enough either.


Custom solution

In this case I really need a custom solution. After wasting my time in stores and on the internet, it is clear to me now. A small chest of three drawers that measure about 30 inches wide and 18 to 20 inches deep would be perfect. Assembly is pretty fast since you can basically build the carcass out of plywood and nail it together with an air gun. The real work is in the drawers and generally I start there and work my way to the outside. This has always seemed better to me.

Joinery

You can use any type of custom joinery that you like. If you are like me, quick and dirty works well. Chances are I will be moving to a new shop every five years or so and will have to start all over again with a new solution. So building this masterpiece does not make much sense for my situation. I like rabbit joints for the drawer reinforced with glue for strength. If you cut a nice groove in the bottom for the bottom plate, you will have a very strong drawer. I like use the plastic bins from the store. You can buy them for very inexpensive and they are cheaper to buy than making them. (time wise)


Once I get the main drawer finished, I can easily copy it and make two more. I then attach the drawer slides and figure out the measurements I need for the carcass. The carcass goes together very easily and if I take the time to install the drawer slides before assembly it is much easier.


Finish

I really like to paint my plywood projects. Some people prefer the natural look, but I like the look. I match all my cabinets together and the look is appealing. So sanding is a must and I will use some wood filler to clean up the pores and fix any mistakes. That is another advantage of using paint, mistakes are much easier to conceal.


Cost

I had the plywood left over from another project, so this project is mostly about time. In about 3 hours I have a very nice drawer that does exactly what I wanted. If you can put a dollar figure on the job, you would multiply your hourly rate (what you think your worth) times the hours spent on the project. In my case, I came out way ahead since the closest tool chest was over $150. I would have to assume if someone could make this size chest, you would have a good seller on your hands.



by: Router Table Depot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Previous Posts
Archives

Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Top Sites Home and Garden Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory