Router Table Depot Posting Page
Thursday, October 9, 2008

All the time you see different products that come out to help
the woodworker sharpen his or her tools in the shop. There is
just about every contraption out there with a variety of prices
and features. The one thing you never see is a good system for
sharpening router bits. I am all for having super sharp chisels
in my shop, but I just don’t use my chisel set all that much.
Buying a $350 sharpener just does not do much for my enthusiasm.
However I am constantly using my router bits since the router
table is a big part of my workshop. Every time I sharpen a bit,
it cost generally between 5 and 10 dollars. I like to use
quality bits so sharpening them and keeping them sharp is in my
best interest.

In the meantime, keeping the bits clean is probably one of the
best things you can do to prolong the life of your router bit. I
try to make a system so that the bits stay as clean as possible.
This may work for you. I take a small piece of mdf and drill
some ¼ and ½” holes in them. On one piece I write “clean” and
the other I write “dirty” Having duplicate bits is the key to
this system. When a bit gets gunked up, I take it and place it
on the dirty holder. When I get enough of them to warrant a few
minutes of cleaning, I get out my cleaners and brass brush and
have at it. Always remove the bearings first so as to not damage
them. I quick scrub removes some of the pitch that builds up on
the cutting edges. If you do laminate work, you will notice that
flush trim bits get very dirty very fast. Simply cleaning the
bit in this instance makes a world of difference. At this time
it’s a great idea to give the bits a few swipes on a diamond
sharpener to touch up the edges. This helps keep the bit tuned
up between sharpening. After I finish I move the bits to the
“clean” bit holder and they are ready to go back to work.

Sharpening

I use the same system for cleaning as I do for sharpening. The
two bit holder technique works well for keeping things
organized. You can send bits and blades out to be sharpened with
companies you find on the internet. This is becoming handier
since the items are turned fairly quickly (a week or less) and
the companies ships them right back to your doorstep. I like
this option because I do not have to allocate any time in taking
them and picking them up. I call that a “low value activity”
Having duplicates allows me to keep working while the other bit
is getting sharpened. I do like to go the extra mile and make a
simple chart that keeps track of my sharpening. This way I know
that I am using sharp tools which give me better cuts in my
materials.

Today

So what exists out there today for the home user? Not much. I
have always said that the person who invents the tool that helps
automates this task will do very well for themselves. Investing
time in some good quality stones would be a good alternative.
However if you are a production shop, stopping and taking the
time and learning curve to get good at this might not always be
cost effective. Hobbyists might are more prone to taking the
time to hand sharpen their bits, but there is a some kinks in
that theory too. Many of the newer bits are very complex. Their
shapes don’t lend themselves to easy sharpening and thus can
kill the whole do it yourself theory. These bits are best
sharpened by the professional. The next time you read through
your favorite woodworking magazine, take note of all the
sharpeners for sale and you will definitely notice what I am
talking about. Take the time to organize a good cleaning and
sharpening system and your wallet will thank you. It can make a
big difference when you are working on that special project if
you have nice clean and sharp router bits.

See more router bits here

Labels:



by: Router Table Depot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Previous Posts
Archives

Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Top Sites Home and Garden Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory